Thursday, September 29, 2011

SMELLING ART AND FEELING VERTIGO : Richard Serra Junction / Cycle and David Poppie Ebb & Flow



Richard Serra: Kid Approved



It's getting harder and harder to take the kid to the galleries. He's at the age where every conversation requires debate team experience; which I don't have. I try to reason, not debate and I'm losing. Art is a battle that can't be lost with him, it's too important to me. Give me strength!


Richard Serra Gagosian Gallery, NYC 2011


So I've started to pick gallery shows based on the appeal to a 9 year old. This past Saturday was a win, well not so fast, first we started at Lisa Yuskavage at David Zwirner gallery which is open through November 5, 2011, I've always liked Yuskavage's work, lush colors, the dreamy playfulness, but as soon as we entered the gallery I saw really large beasts on the far reaching wall, I put my hand out, "Wait here", I forgot that her work isn't appropriate for the kid. I viewed the show alone, he waited in the front of the gallery and we're already off to a bad start. He immediately expressed the desire to go home. "Wait, I promise the next show is great!" 


We headed to Gagosian Gallery on 24th street to see Richard Serra's  Junction / Cycle (through November 26th)

 I won this argument, he's thinking about this one

Richard Serra: like a wall of curtains




Richard Serra: Enter here




Richard Serra: Detail




RICHARD SERRA
Junction, 2011
Weatherproof steel
13' 1/2" x 75' 1/2" x 49' 9 15/16" (4 x 22.9 x 15.2 m)
© Richard Serra. Courtesy Gagosian Gallery. Photo by Lorenz Kienzle

I consider space to be a material. The articulation of space has come to take precedence over other concerns. I attempt to use sculptural form to make space distinct.
– Richard Serra



We stayed for about an hour, looked at the surfaces, walked in and out of the sculptures and I left with vertigo.


We headed to the Highline, but on the way the kid spotted a show that's wasn't on the list and I oblige, this made me happy, he was showing interest. Immediately after we walked through the door we smelled pencils. It actually smelled like a pencil factory. Poppie's collages, made entirely of dissected pencils, felt very appropriate for the kid being that it's September and he's started back to school. The pencils looked so cool that the kid wanted to buy one, but the pieces started at $ 3,000.


We love this show! David Poppie Ebb & Flow.


David Poppie: Ebb & Flow



David Poppie: Ebb & Flow



David Poppie: Ebb & Flow


We ended the afternoon on the Highline. We shared a lemon ice and waded our bare feet in man made cool water streams.


Highline Ice Man

It was a perfect fall afternoon in NYC.

No comments:

Post a Comment