Sunday, March 4, 2012

LAST NIGHT A DJ SAVED MY LIFE WITH A SONG

Music is the one thing that has always been a loyal friend and an inspiration to me. So I wanted to share what's been on heavy rotation these past few months... 
Jack White, Love Interruptionfeaturing Ruby Amanfu I heard this for the first time on Valentine's day, fitting huh? His new solo record Blunderbuss is out April 23 and he was brilliant on SNL last night.
best lyrics:the entire song


Nicolas Jaar, And I Say, vocals contributed by Scout LaRue (daughter of Demi Moore and Bruce Willis)
best lyrics: Whoo


Lower Dens Brains New Album Nootropics out May 1
best lyrics: a bunch of mumbling and repeating don't be afraid, but it's really all about the snare drum


Fell Sound (which is Liz Harris/Grouper and Jesy Fortino/Tiny Vipers), Mirroring, Foreign Body is out 3/19...something about this reminds me of Twin Peaks
best lyrics: Humph?


Massive Attack's Hymn of the Big Wheel, from Blue Lines, over 20 years have passed and this album still feels fresh to me...to commemorate the 20 year anniversary producer Egyptrixx released the remix. This is by far the Kid's favorite track and on heaviest rotation 2 months running. The wheel keeps turning.




best lyrics:There's a hole in my soul like a cavity
Seems like the world is out to gather just by gravity
The wheel keeps turning the sky's rearranging
Look my son the weather is changing



Sharon Van Etten's entire record Tramp, No wonder I like this girl, Etten has been associated with some of my favorite bands.  After a controlling relationship with a man in Tennessee who told Etten her song writing was worthless, she eventually packed her bags and found her way back to her home in New Jersey where she found support in friend Kyp Malone (Tv on the Radio). Kyp and others encouraged Etten to pursue a career in music. Etten now resides in Brooklyn when not on tour. She has sung back up with The Antlers on Thirteen and The National on "Think You Can Wait" from the Win Win sound track. The National's Aaron Dessner produced Tramp in his garage/studio last year. 


best lyrics: 
...It's not that I don't cry,
It's that I have to hide,
So I won't be there to ask.
No, I won't be the one to ask.
and it hurts too much to laugh about it.

...You're the reason why I'll move to the city
You're why I'll need to leave
...Wanting to love as new as I can


Below are two things you should know about


CROSSING BROOKLYN FERRY MAY 3-5 (Produced by BAM)
The Walkmen, St. Vincent, Beirut, Sharon Van Etten, The Antlers and Atlas Sound all at the Howard Gilman Opera House


And if you love live music you should check out NYCTAPER's blog one of his latest post is Sharon Van Etten's show last week at Bowery Ballroom. NYCTAPER records almost every indie show in NYC and Brooklyn and puts it on his blog, with permission of the artists of course, for you to download with only the request that if you download the music for your listening pleasure to please support the artist in other ways.

Happy listening!



No comments:

Post a Comment