Monday, May 23, 2011

"I wish that I had known in that first minute we met, the unpayable debt that I owed you..."




...this, the first lyric I ever heard from The Antlers, from the 
song Kettering, and I was immediately sucked in. The entire 
album Hospice spoke to me. I like to think that I knew where 
Peter Silberman's head was when he wrote these songs, but 
of course, I don't. The pain and beauty of a breathless, but dysfunctional relationship is worthy of every listen I give it. 
It reminds me of the last few years with my cancer-stricken husband. I base just as much worth on a song’s musicality as to the lyrics that fill it and Silberman's lyrics win me over, always.  

You said, “I can’t prove to you you’re not gonna die alone, but 
trust me to take you home." Putting The Dog To Sleep (Burst Apart)


Friday night at Bowery Ballroom The Antlers offered everything 
I had hoped for...I had waited a long time to hear these songs performed live and now with Burst Apart, their latest effort, as a solid follow up to Hospice, I wasn’t sure how they were going to reproduce this sound live, but they did brilliantly. 


When I try to move my arms sometimes, they weigh too much to lift. I think you buried me awake (my one and only parting gift.) But you return to me at night, just when I think I may have fallen asleep. Your face is up against mine, and I’m too terrified to speak.“ Epilogue (Hospice)

All Lyrics by Peter Silberman, The Antlers




Animation by David Larsen
Music by The Antlers - "Kettering" from the album Hospice.

The Antlers, Bowery Ballroom, May 20, 2011
















The Antlers, Bowery Ballroom, May 20, 2011

http://www.myspace.com/theantlers
http://antlersmusic.com/lyrics/

No comments:

Post a Comment