Sunday, June 26, 2011

Born That Way, Gay Pride Parade NYC 2011


My first Gay Pride Parade...That's kind of embarrassing to say. I've lived here twenty years...Why did I wait so long? It was by far, the best parade I've ever been to. Unexpectedly, there were a few moments that had me tearing up. Parents and Grandparents walking the parade to show support for their gay children and grandchildren. Couples walking together with signs showing how long they have been committed to each other and now, finally, after Friday's vote, they can marry. That's why I went, to show my support. Equality finally! 

I told my son I was going to the parade and explained Friday's Marriage Bill passing to him. The kids, they talk, I wanted to make sure he knew what had happened. The basics, "You know that you can have two mommies or two daddies, right? Men sometimes fall in love with other men and women with women, you can't help who you fall in love with, it's completely natural. So shouldn't everyone be able to get married and have legal and financial rights?" The kid's response..."only criminals shouldn't have rights" Exactly!

Next lesson, define criminals....



















The policeman beside me said he might need a permit for this kayak on NYC streets




1 comment:

  1. Wow, looks so colourful and everyone is happy!
    It is something of a milestone for the bill to be passed in NYC. It is just the beginning of a change. Let's hope Australia doesn't fall too behind :)

    ReplyDelete