Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Falling in love, Submarine and Soundtracks






What if John Hughes and Wes Anderson had collaborated on a coming of age film set in 1980's Wales? Well, I'd like this a lot and I feel like I just watched it, thanks to director Richard Ayoade and his debut film Submarine; which is based on a novel by Joe Dunthorne and is now playing at Village East Cinema.

I must say I was much more interested in
the protagonist Oliver Tate and his love interest Jordana than the secondary story of Oliver's parents and the possible affair between his mother and her cheesy new-age mullet sporting first love, whom just happens to live next door, but overall this was a nice surprise as I knew nothing of the film and it was  a quirky, dark and comical reminder of my own awkward teen years.

Who's voice is that singing?  I don't know who I asked that question to because I was alone. (I seem to be going lots of places alone lately, I need to work on that) Yes, I Shazamed the soundtrack because it was driving me crazy. I know this guy's voice. Alex Turner? Who is that? I'll have to wait. I certainly can't Google the name right now, I'm in a theater. Shazaming would be grounds for kicking me out as was the lunch I snuck in with me.

Aha, Alex Turner, in case you don't know, is the lead singer for the Artic Monkeys... Of course, it's all coming together, Ayoade has directed videos for the Artic Monkeys. Very fitting that Mr. Turner would create the soundtrack to this film. The songs are lovely. Ok, let me be honest, I'm obsessed with them. It's not that they're soooo extraordinary, but they fit the film so very well. The songs add to the visuals and don't swallow the film, I knew they were there and I found myself waiting for the next and I downloaded the soundtrack the second I left the theater. I've listened to it about 30 times in 4 days.

And with lyrics like these I'll be listening for a while...

You look like you've been for breakfast at the heartbreak hotel, And sat in the back booth by the pamphlets and the literature on how to lose, Your waitress was miserable and so was your food
...Piledriver Waltz



If the sun's in your eyes,
I'll tighten your blindfold, baby
Don't worry your foot won't get cut
Strut carelessly...
Paraselene woman, I'm your man in the moon
...Glass in The Park



Put on this soundtrack and submerge yourself..."I'll know the way back, if you know the way..."



No comments:

Post a Comment